10 Reasons Industrial Suppliers Should Blog
The Importance and Dual Roles of Blogging
As a follow up to our last post on Manufacturing content marketing in 2019 (How are Manufacturers Succeeding with Content Marketing) this post focuses on one key part of content marketing – Blogging. We’ve written about blogging as a component in some previous posts on content marketing by industrial suppliers, for example, in The Role of a Website versus a Blog in Industrial Content Marketing, and in Industrial Sales and Marketing Recommendations but this post will focus solely on the value and opportunity of B2B blogging for industrial suppliers.
As the 2019 Content Marketing Institute graph above shows, Blogs are the 4th most used type of content by manufacturers. They rank ahead of events, infographics, charts, data visualization (inc. CAD), case studies, white papers, print magazines, webinars and other online events. The duality is that Blogs are content and can also promote all your other content.
Why Should B2B Industrial Suppliers Blog?
We’ll assume you already appreciate the value of content marketing - if not, please see the posts mentioned above on that topic and on Digital Marketing with CAD - Get the FAQs, the latter for specifics on using 2D CAD drawings and 3D CAD models as marketing content for lead generation.
Blogging is possibly the most powerful type of content for these 10 reasons:
1. Works for you 24/7, 365 days a year, forever – even old blogs that provide answers to current search queries will keep occurring in search results.
2. Generates Organic Search Engine Results (SERPs) – Fresh Blogs attract search engine spiders that are always searching for new content to index. In contrast, stagnant sites (no new content) get deprioritized by them.
3. Presents you as an expert – Readers recognize good, useful content and perceive you as an expert, even a thought leader, in the subject areas you write about.
4. Attracts readers/visitors and leads – Engaging content attracts readers by answering their questions or searches, lets them learn from you and understand how your company can help them. More organic visitor traffic and engaged readers naturally produce sales leads. According to HubSpot research, B2B companies who blog receive 67% more leads than those who don’t.
5. Engages prospects – both in two way discussion about a blog topic or by directing them to other specific content (such as a relevant white paper, case study, infographic, configurator or product) or other pages of your website.As a result customers and prospects learn about your company, products, or services.
6. Increases your site’s SEO authority – HubSpot research reports that companies who blog receive 97% more inbound links to their websites. Other organizations reference your blogs with links to them, then search engines count such inbound links to judge the ‘authority’ in which your site/pages are held and rank your pages accordingly vs. competing pages.
7. Can promote content for any and all of your other content marketing – Use your Blog to promote your other content, for example, a new white paper or case study. Also promote your blog posts to attract readers and start conversations. For example, by using social media such as LinkedIN to share your posts either as a personal update, or on your company’s LinkedIN page. Twitter is another platform for social conversations, though it is harder to monitor than LinkedIN. Either way your posts should guide readers back to your website.
8. Provides reusable content for any and all of your other content marketing – Increase the ROI on your content by reusing it in multiple ways, for example, by publishing a shorter version of a blog post in a newsletter or on social media.
9. Is inexpensive - Social media campaigns, Google ads, influencer marketing, can cost a lot of money. In comparison writing and publishing a blog costs much less and generates organic traffic for free, forever.
10. Can provide competitive differentiation - The opposite of #3 above, if you don’t blog to share your information, other brands will spread information which best suits them. To be in consideration your brand needs to be in the game!
What are the Top B2B Manufacturing Blogs?
Blogging is a well proven content marketing approach. We know it works if done well.
So who does it well in B2B Manufacturing?
Here are links to a couple of tabulated lists produced by 3rd parties – please review them at your leisure for ideas that appeal to you (and your audience).
4 Recommendations for Successful Industrial B2B blogging
1. See B2B Blogs as both content and enablers of all your content marketing as descrided above. Make it intuitively simple for visitors to search your blog, and easy to sign up for notification of new posts.
2. Your results will depend directly on the relevancy of your topics, the honesty and quality of your content, and the frequency of your posts. At a minimum publish new blogs at least twice per month, on topics your customers most frequently ask about, and engage subject matter experts across your organization to demonstrate real expertise.
3. If you haven’t started a blog yet – start today and be persistent and consistent but don’t expect immediate results. Create a content calendar, start writing, publish your blogs, and promote your content. As a rule of thumb spend as much time promoting your content as writing it.
4. As you succeed, increase the frequency of publishing blogs – to weekly, daily, even multiple times a day (as you can see in some of the examples above). Companies do this because lead generation increases, usually better than linearly.
Lastly, we can say that online content marketing for industrial suppliers (manufacturers and distributors) is what we, our software products and services enable. It's our specialist expertise developed over more than a decade so we read new research avidly and are continuously thinking about the implication for ourselves and our customers. If you'd like our opinion on your particular content marketing situation, or how you can blog to support it, please call or click either button below: